Raja Ampat Youth: Creativity for Being Independent

By: Yuliana Mambrasar.          

This article tells about my experiences, Yuliana Mambrasar who was born and grew up in Yenanas, South Batanta district, Raja Ampat regency.  Since elementary school to high school, I was at Yenanas. Then, I continued to study theology in Surabaya, but I did not complete it because my parent did not permit me for some reasons. However, the situation did not stop me to join organizations and to serve people through prayer group activities for evangelism in Raja Ampat area, Sorong, and its surroundings, covering cities and  rural areas.

I participated several organizations, then I finally met Stube HEMAT in Raja Ampat, which Rev. Grace coordinated. At Stube HEMAT I learned some topics such as Youth Entrepreneurship, Gender Equality, Public Health, and others. Those topics lead young people to be more familiar with their area and the problems. Raja Ampat Regency itself is one of the regencies in Southwest Papua Province with Waisai as the capital  located in Waigeo island on the bird's head peninsula of the island of Papua. Raja Ampat Regency has an area of 67.379,60 km2 consisting of 7.559,60 km2 land area and 59.820,00 km2 waters. The regency includes four main islands, Waigeo, Misool, Salawati, and Batanta. Among 610 islands, only thirty-five are inhabited; the rest are uninhabited without names. The regency has much potency covering sea, its islands, beaches, and coasts, caught fish, ornamental fish, seaweed, coral reefs, and other marine biota. Currently, Raja Ampat islands are a destination for divers to witness the beauty of the sea.

In the Entrepreneurship program, three students and I got business capital loans from Stube HEMAT. The capital will be paid in installments based on the commitments made. The business venture that I do is making crown crafts and selling salted fish. I moved from Sorong to Teminabuan, South Sorong regency, precisely in Sira village, Saifi district, to live with my family. It is still a rural area here and some of the people are not as advanced as in Sorong. Here I have opportunity to start a small business by providing the needs of the local community. Because the place is near schools I sell donut cakes, juice drinks, cherry cakes, and pastries in addition to produce traditional crown crafts and salted fish. I am currently building a small kiosk to market food, necessities, and handicrafts.

I, who already know Stube HEMAT, have practiced the knowledge I got and felt its benefits. Let’s help our people who are still left behind and have not received attention from the government, neither the environment, education, health, nor housing. I hope that in the future Stube HEMAT can reach a wider area of Raja Ampat's rural area because young people need positive activities like trainings done by Stube HEMAT, as they do not know how to develop themselves and manage profitably the natural potencies around them.

For young people in Raja Ampat and its surroundings, let’s develop our Human Resources together so that they can manage the existing potencies for the people welfare. One of the programs is Stube HEMAT in Raja Ampat which is ready to assist the development of mindset and life. Jou suba. ***


Comments